On the occasion of the laying of the cornerstone of this building on August 29, 1929, the Premier of the Province, the Honourable Edgar N. Rhodes, paid tribute to the anonymous donor whose gift of $200,000 had made possible its construction. He also acknowledged the provision by Dalhousie University of the site and a commitment to provide heat for the building in perpetuity. The building was designed by Andrew Cobb and constructed by Messrs. Falconer and MacDonald.
Chase Building

The formal opening took place on January 14, 1931. On this occasion it was announced that the donor was Mr. W.H. Chase of Wolfville. The Honourable G.S. Harrington, by then the Premier of the Province, and others thanked Mr. Chase for what was described as the finest individual gift ever made to the province.

As a consequence of this gift, Nova Scotia became the first province to have its own Archives Building.

By 1980, a new and larger structure was available for the Public Archives, and this building was taken over by Dalhousie University. With the assistance of the Government and the people of Nova Scotia it was renovated, and since 1985 has been occupied by the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. On the occasion of its rededication, the building was named by the Honourable John M. Buchanan, Premier of Nova Scotia, to honour William Henry Chase, in recognition of his gift to the Province and to the University.

Search By
Chase Building | Dalhousie University | Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 3J5 | +1 (902) 494-2572